for European, national and regional HE organisations, ministries and state agencies in more than 20 countries in Europe, Asia, Africa, USA
helping them to
- identify and leverage new opportunities offered by external competitive funding calls, new European and national funding instruments, and emerging institutional practice in other countries or region
- analyse new policy developments affecting universities and public research institutes in research, education and innovation and knowledge transfer and their institutional implications
- develop strategic institutional responses to emerging policy developments
- spread good practice across national and institutional boundaries.
Mandates include the following policy analyses:
- The Role of Universities in Regional Innovation Ecosystems, European University Association, October 2017 - January 2019.
- Fact-finding Mission for the German Academic Exchange (DAAD) in Tunisia, 2017.
- Programme Audit of Federal Ministry of Education and Research funding programme „Performance Assessment in Scientific Research and Higher Education“, Federal Ministry of Education and Research BMBF, 2016.
- Jenseits der Fakultäten: Zur neuen Binnendifferenzierung an deutschen Hochschulen: Study on new organisational forms of internal differentiation at German higher education institutions for the Stifterverband für die Deutsche Wissenschaft, 2011-2012.
- New approaches to research evaluation and performance assessment - Policy development support for the Swiss Science and Technology Council (Schweizer Wissenschafts- und Technologierat) incl. review of existing research on their effects on higher education institutions, 2010 and 2012.
- Study on institutional diversity and differentiation in European Higher Education for the European University Association (EUA), 2008 – 2009. Publication (2009)
- Cooperations between Swiss Universities, mandate by the Swiss Science and Technology Council (SWTR), 2009.
- Sector Report on the Slovak Higher Education System, with special focus on Research Capacity, mandate by EUA, the Slovak Ministry of Education and the Slovak Rectors Conference, 2007 – 08.
- Global Engineering Excellence: Benchmarking study of Engineering Education of 8 global universities (incl ETH Zürich, MIT, Georgia tech, Tsinghua University and Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 2006.
- Assessment and Perspectives of Continuing Education at Swiss Universities at Swiss Universities, mandate by the Swiss State Secretariat of Education and Research, 2006.
- Comparative study of the role of universities in developing Knowledge Regions in Europe, mandate by the European University Association (EUA), 2006. Publication (2006)
- Development of a Marketing Strategy for the Knowledge Capital Zurich, mandate by the Kanton Zürich, University of Zurich, ETH Zürich. 2005
- Research Strategy Development at European Universities. Mandate by the European University Association (EUA), 2006.
- Trends IV and Trends III Studies on the Implementation of the Bologna Reforms, mandate by the European University Association (EUA) 2005 and 2003.
- Strategic development, office of the Vice President Plannind Logistics at ETH Zürich, Switzerland, 2002-2004.
- designed, analysed and organised strategic planning between departments and central administration, with a focus on developing synergies and common goals across disciplinary boundaries.
- developed instruments which facilitated the establishment of institutional thematic scientific platforms in view of enhanced visibility and profile of the institution in key strategic areas.
- launched an institutional marketing initiative.
- Strategic Consultant for the Humboldt University Berlin, helped launch strategic planning processes and office at the HU Berlin for the new president, Prof. Jürgen Mlynek, relaunched the institutional reform project of the Volkswagen Stiftung (recruitment reform, quality assurance, performance-based funding), mandate by HU Berlin, 2000-2001.
- Researcher for the Science Expert Council (Expertenrat beim Ministerium für Wissenschaft und Forschung Nordrhein-Westfalen) evaluating the portfolio, structural and strategic development of the Northrhine-Westfalian Universities, 1999.
- Organisation of the Annual German Philosophy Conference (XVIII. Deutschen Kongresses für Philosophie, "Die Zukunft des Wissens“) with 700 participants, 1998.
- Member of the structural reform commission of the University of Konstanz, 1998, "Modell Konstanz".
- Policy Consulting for the European Commission: Evaluation and re-conception of European cooperation programmes (Erasmus, EC/US cooperation), 1994 – 1996
- Evaluation of EC/US cooperation programme, mandate by the Academic Cooperation Association, 1994.